Notes on Seth Godin's "Your Job is to Make Art"
Most recent update: 29th May 2020 - 14:00:13 - 2627 characters
Notes on Seth Godin's Your Job is to Make Art:
- The game of pinball would fail if the pins were an inch closer or an inch further apart - it's a deliberately constructed balance for maximum enjoyment
- Don't be the average - be the one with no replacement
- Ask of your product: Who is it for? What is it for? What is our best work for?
- Don't aim for the middle, aim for the edges, for those who already care and already want to hear more
- Rather than focusing on funnels focus on megaphones
- Break out of the habit of fearing being different, of fearing being the Icarus
- True artists don't ask what the client wants, they create the art with the purpose pulled from their heart and give clients the option of joining ("Full Cheetah")
- Of your customers and audience, "I see you, I hear you"
- Permission based marketing is a mailing list where the audience can unsubscribe if they decide they don't want it, that they've already bought in
- The power of tribes is the ability to convince a massive audience of fans to spend thousands to compete in an Ironman in Hawaii where they know they'll lose
- The Beatles didn't invent teens, they led them
- If you can't convince someone of your idea then you're likely convincing the wrong audience
- Be an artist, not a copyist (the first person to put an upside down urinal in a gallery is an artist, the second person a plumber)
- "If I gave you a map you would be a plumber"
- All innovation is is failing and failing and failing until you find the next thing that works
- "The person who invented the ship also invented the shipwreck"
- "There is no shipwreck free journey if you want to do art"
- "Purple cows eventually go gray"
- "When Gutenberg launched the printing press 94% of the people in Europe were illiterate. He should have waited until everyone knew how to read. There were no bookstores! He should have waited until Barnes & Noble got to Berlin!"
- "When Mercedes launched the car it was against the law to drive a car. He needed a letter from the king for his own invention. There were no roads. There were no gas stations. There were no all night drive through liquor stores!"
- "All of you are ready but none of you are prepared" / "All of you are prepared but none of you are ready"
- "There are no videos online of people successfully riding a bicycle as it's not that interesting" (whilst watching bike fail videos in the background)
- "Are you willing to own your story and own your failures?"
- "Will you choose to matter?"